This week I have been struggling with business decisions. I am attempting to create a business plan to fit not only my lifestyle which includes a lot of traveling, but to also support me as a photographer and business person. Let me tell you this is quite a challenge.
I have read, watched, and taken many business and photography courses to try to find the magic bullet that is going to work for me. I have not yet found that magic bullet and realize now there is no "magic" bullet.
I have my own style, talents and interests which makes my life very unique so there is no plan out there that will fit my situation and give me all the answers. I realize now that I have to come up with my own plan which will work for my own business.
I believe that we are always where we should be and life will lay out our path if would just get out-of-the-way. Well the path that I feel is laid out before me at this moment is to start and create a business that will serve not only my clients but my life with the gifts and talents I have today so we both can benefit. This will be no easy task.
Here are just a few of things I have discovered.
- Mountains and nature are not going to pay me to take a photograph, but their beauty releases my stress so I will continue to photograph while in the beauty they share even if it is only for my eyes.
- Most of my horse photographs come easy to me and I just instinctively know when to push the shutter, but again the horse is not in the market for photographs, it is people who love them that are.
- Taking portraits is a challenge but challenges are what makes us stretch and grow so I am going to learn posing and how to create compelling portraits.
- I love to capture the connection between people and the animals they love so I will bring my strength to photograph animals and learn my weakness to photograph people together to create a great product.
- I also love to decorate and have been told I have an eye for it, so I will use this talent to help create beautiful wall arrangements for clients so the photographs become more than just digital.
- Having a good business means learning to get you emotions out of your business so I will learn the skills of business so I can become profitable thrive.
- Handling money scares me to death but my husband is a wizard at it so I will consult him every step of the way.
So these are the things I need to work through to create a business that I love and will support me and my family and be a service to clients and customers. A lot of work, education and practice but I believe it will be all worthwhile.
Here are a few attempts at photographing my grandchildren over Easter. Nothing like going for the hardest subjects children under 4